Chosen specifically by the Mexican government as a prime holiday hotspot, the purpose-built resort of Cancun literally has it all: a pristine white sandy beach, warm turquoise waters lapping at the shore, an undersea world coral reefs to explore, verdant jungles and an enormous series of underworld caves, and as gateway to El Mundo Maya (the Mayan World), Cancun is with close proximity to Chichen Itza and Tulam, two of Mexico's most stunning archaeological treasures.
The rise of Cancun's tourist trade has centered on a huge range of hotels, most of them offering incredible all-inclusive prices - eat until you can't stand up, drink untill you feel the need to sit down, dance the night away untill your legs turn to jelly - then recover from it all, lying on a sun lounger by the pool, but under a thatched umbrella on the beach.
When you are ready to play, Cancun has a huge range of activities - parasailing, snorkelling and scuba diving off the nearby Isla Murjeres, exploring the deep cave system that rings the limestone recess of the Yucatan Peninsula, horse riding along deserted beach and of course, shopping!
- A Great Night Out! Partygoers are spoilt for choice, with more than 100 venues offering live music, DJs and shows.
- A Shoppers Paradise: Browse the Venetian-inspired canals and designer stores, or pick up a souvenir at La Isla Shopping Village. There is also an aquarium and cinema.
- Witness the sun go down as the mainland lights start to glitter, a perfect way to relax and end the day.
- Ancient Ruins: Take a break from the beach and head to one of the many Mayan archaeological sites, such as Chichen Itza or Tulum.
- A Shoppers Paradise: Browse the Venetian-inspired canals and designer stores, or pick up a souvenier at La Isla Shopping Village. There is also an aquarium and cinema.
For maps, day tours and accommodation options, visit the Cancun & Riviera Maya chapter in our online USA brochure. Click here.